Thursday 19 January 2012

Fr. Edwin on Vacation: "A Visit to the Gateway of India"


On Wednesday morning I visited the seminary and met with Bishop Agnelo Gracias, auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Bombay. He was the person who accepted me into the seminary. Bishop Agnelo is a man of faith and loves people. He is always ready to meet, greet and encourage. I have learned much from him.

 On Wednesday evening, I was in downtown Mumbai with my good friend Fr. Andrew, Fr John D'Mello (former professor at St. Pius Seminary)and Elaine D'Souza (young lady who works at the Canadian Consulate). We had an excellent dinner at a Chinese restaurant. The owner went to a Catholic School and so dessert was on the house. Didn't have much as I am getting old. Before dinner, Fr Andrew and myself visited the Gateway of India, which was built to commemorate the visit of King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay in Dec 1911. From here there are ferry boats that take people for a tour around the harbor. Opposite the Gateway is the Taj Mahal Hotel. Both these places were the scene of a terrorist attacks in 2008. But the people of Bombay are resilient and continue to visit these places of interest in large numbers.

The next few days are going to be last minute visits with family friends. On Tuesday morning (Monday afternoon for all of you) I board the flight to Toronto.

Keep well and God bless,
Fr. Edwin

No comments:

Post a Comment